[ltp] linux implications of 18G hdd for tp600E

Michael W. Godfrey linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:25:32 -0500

I have a TP600E which I am thinking of upgading to an 18G hdd.  The Toshiba
is $200 less than the Travelstar at the campus computer store, so I am
thinking about going with that one.

My plan it to use the first 10G for Win98 and the remainder for linux.
I have installed Linux before on other machines, and I own Partition Magic
4.0.

However ... someone mentioned the phrase "geometry problems" with respect
to 18G hdds and Linux.  I have only a vague understanding of what this is;
is there anything special I should be aware of?

I was also thinking of installing Boot Magic since it came with PartMagic.
Any funny business with MBRs and the like?

The support techies here suggest never putting Lilo on a HDD and always
booting Linux from a floppy, but I don't relish keeping my floppy drive at
all times.

Any advice appreciated.

-- Mike