[ltp] recompiling kernel gives me a headache.

Jake Holmen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:13:41 GMT

Hi all.

Recently I decided to grab a new kernel & corresponding pcmcia tarballs.
I un-tarred them to /usr/src/   and then entered the linux directory,
make xconfig

(MAKING SURE TO INCLUDE EXT2 FS support! ) then did a
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install.

Then I moved the bzImage to /boot and made a symlink to vmlinuz
and moved the System.map to /boot and made sure that it was pointing to
System.map .
Then I re-ran lilo
and got
added dos on /dev/hda5  *
added linux on /dev/hda6

Then I rebooted, and I got kernel panic.
Cannot mount root partition on /dev/hda5 DOH!!

I tried this about 4 times, adding NFS support, dos support?? , ext2 support
etc etc.  recompiling and all.
But still I couldn't reboot!  Bugger.

Can anyone see a stupid thing that I did, or had a similar experience?

CHeers/