[ltp] recompiling kernel gives me a headache.

Bradley W. Langhorst linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 18:32:38 -0500

maybe you just hit that 1024 limit...
try putting the new kernel on a /boot in the first 10 m or so
of the disk. Hope you have partition magic...

brad
Jake Holmen wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Recently I decided to grab a new kernel & corresponding pcmcia tarballs.
> I un-tarred them to /usr/src/   and then entered the linux directory,
> make xconfig
>
> (MAKING SURE TO INCLUDE EXT2 FS support! ) then did a
> make dep
> make clean
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install.
>
> Then I moved the bzImage to /boot and made a symlink to vmlinuz
> and moved the System.map to /boot and made sure that it was pointing to
> System.map .
> Then I re-ran lilo
> and got
> added dos on /dev/hda5  *
> added linux on /dev/hda6
>
> Then I rebooted, and I got kernel panic.
> Cannot mount root partition on /dev/hda5 DOH!!
>
> I tried this about 4 times, adding NFS support, dos support?? , ext2 support
> etc etc.  recompiling and all.
> But still I couldn't reboot!  Bugger.
>
> Can anyone see a stupid thing that I did, or had a similar experience?
>
> CHeers/

Bradley W. Langhorst
Scientific Programmer
Whitehead Institute - Center for Genome Research
email: bwlang@genome.wi.mit.edu
tel:   617-252-1918