[ltp] [770X] Anyone have vmware running with NT4.0 as guest OS?

Andrew Steele linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:22:00 +1000

Yes, I have this config working, but on a 600E (using outlook in it now :-))

One quick caveat: I am assuming your trying to do this using a raw disk not
a virtual one.

It's a common problem.  Finally fixed it though.  What it comes down to is
your UDMA disk setup.  Do NOT use the PIIXIDE SCSI drivers from the IBM IDE
support disk.  Just use the standard drivers which are part of NT.  Then use
dmacheck which comes as part of SP5 to enable UDMA disk access.  If you find
on running dmacheck that your channels are greyed out it means you haven't
got things configured properly.

It would seem that Linux supports UDMA access but NT by default isn't.  Thus
the machine boots with UDMA access configured, then the guest OS tries to
boot without using it and fails.

By scouring the web you're likely to find references to this problem being
due to 8.4Gb disk limits (see the Large Disk mini HOWTO for more info).  My
impression is that this is a red herring.

Regards
Andrew

--
Andrew Steele,