[ltp] linux implications of 18G hdd for tp600E

Anand Desai linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:49:35 -0500 (EST)

About LILO on the MBR with NT installed:

> And there is no specific reason to do it, either. The BR of the boot
> partition is a nice, cozy place for LILO. BTW if you use NT there is
> one good reason _not_ to put LILO in the MBR except if you purposefully
> intend to trash NT (NT's 1st commandment: Thou shalt have no other OSes
> before me).

Funny, it worked fine when I did it (on my thinkpad 760) : LILO was on the
MBR, and it gave the choice of loading Linux or NT. (if you chose NT NT's
loader came up)

IMHO it's easier to configure LILO to allow booting both than to configure
NT's bootloader.

I had installed NT before Linux.

Yes, putting LILO on the /boot partition will work too; but you'll have to
copy that boot sector to a file on the NT partition and then change some
settings for the NT loader.

--Anand