[ltp] linux implications of 18G hdd for tp600E

Brian Button linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:23:57 -0600

Harald Milz wrote:

> Anand Desai <anand@bootp-189-24.bootp.virginia.edu> wrote:
> > I don't see any reason not to put LILO on the hard drive MBR.  But the
>
> And there is no specific reason to do it, either. The BR of the boot
> partition is a nice, cozy place for LILO. BTW if you use NT there is
> one good reason _not_ to put LILO in the MBR except if you purposefully
> intend to trash NT (NT's 1st commandment: Thou shalt have no other OSes
> before me).

I have lilo on the MBR of my desktop and my laptop, and I boot NT from it just fine. The *big* advantage to booting from lilo rather than NT's bootloader is that there are some gyrations you have to go through to update the bootloader whenever you build a
new kernel. OTOH, if you use lilo, you can just edit lilo.conf, run /sbin/lilo, and you're fine.

bab

--
Brian Button           bbutton@objectmentor.com
Senior Consultant      Object Mentor, Inc.