[ltp] new thinkpads

Steven Filling linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 02 May 2000 21:08:15 -0700 (PDT)

On 02-Mar-2000 George Staikos extemporized:

>  AHHHHHHHHHHHHH  They did it _AGAIN_!  The A20 series has _3_ different
> Video
> chipsets!  You can expect the low end model to work as it uses the ATI
> Rage
> Mobility M, and XF86 versions 4.0 and 3.3.6+patch should work.  The two
> midrange ones use Rage Mobility "M1".  I don't know what this is but it
> may
> not work yet.  The Rage Mobility 128 I'm pretty sure won't work yet.
> Now
> when I say won't work, I mean "won't work in accelerated mode".  You
> should
> always be able to use the FBDev server or the SVGA server.

Ah well, I guess I can survive on unaccelerated...

 The
> UltraPort
> probably will not work.  If all goes well, DVD will be supported soon.

hopefully DVD support will be forthcoming, the UltraPort I suspect can be
lived without.  Wonder what kind of fiddling it would take to get W2K
running on VMware to recognise it.

> Soundcard is probably
> Ensonique
> based (just a guess right now) and has basic support right now.  Oh and
> the
> builtin modem should be a Lucent WinModem and there is a driver for it
> if you
> run Redhat Linux.

Yep - in fact I'm sending this from my 240 using the lucent driver.

>    Does that come close enough to answering?  Overall it should work,
> but I
> touched on the key points where there are still issues.

Thanks !  I appreciate your efforts - now off to spend too much ;^)

TIA
S.
E-Mail:
Steven Filling <steven@samsara.csustan.edu>