[ltp] clock drift

Bradley W. Langhorst linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 04 May 2000 10:29:27 -0400

"Joachim F. Selinger" wrote:

> Hi George!
>
> On  3 May, George Staikos wrote:
> > Has anyone noticed problems with clock drift?  In particular I'm using a
> > Thinkpad i1460 and Redhat 6.1 with kernel 2.2.13.  I can't for the life
> > of me keep my clock set to the proper time or date.  I think it loses
> > time worst when the machine goes to sleep or gets powered off (perhaps
> > also when it switches to battery).
I can't explain why this worked for me
but i switched to keeping GMT in the hardware clock
and letting linux deal with the timezone translation.
I don't boot windows on this machine ever so this is fine
and I don't get screwy time anymore even when suspending and
resuming etc.

As a dirty hack you could use a cronjob to do an
rdate -s your.local.timeserver every X minutes
(if you have a consistent network connection...)

good luck

brad
--
Bradley W. Langhorst