[ltp] clock drift

Joachim F. Selinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 5 May 2000 10:49:21 +0200 (MEST)

Hi George and others!

On  4 May, George Staikos wrote:
> On Thu, 04 May 2000, ye wei wrote:
>> George Staikos wrote:
>> > Has anyone noticed problems with clock drift?  In particular I'm
>> > using a Thinkpad i1460 and Redhat 6.1 with kernel 2.2.13.  I can't
>> > for the life of me keep my clock set to the proper time or date.  I
>> > think it loses time worst when the machine goes to sleep or gets
>> > powered off (perhaps also when it switches to battery).
>>
>> I don't think it's related to laptop, even desktop linux has that
>> problem. You need find a standard time server, then put 'rdate $server'
>>  in cron and keep the time of your local box.
>
>   This is not the case.  I have a rediculous number of linux boxes and
>   they
> all manage to keep the time (from 486 up to dual PII).  Only my Thinkpad
> has problems.  I'm going to try the GMT idea and see what that does.

I can only confirm this. I have lots of machines in use with different
OSes (1 other thinkpad and many desktop machines) and none has problems in
Liux or NT or Win9x or OS/2 but the i1467! It must be a hardware issue.

Any other i14xx users out there that have _no_ problems? Just curious.

CU
Jocki
--
Joachim F. Selinger        /  \ /  \/\ /\/  \              ___