[ltp] Internal/external display use

Joachim F. Selinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 5 May 2000 11:58:23 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Markus!

On  5 May, Markus Alt wrote:
> So here's my question: Does anybody know a way to make the X server
> reread its configuration file *without* killing running X applications?
> Other possibility (and that's where is the cross-link to the former
> discussion mentioned above): Define the specs for two different displays
> within a single /etc/XF86config file, toggle between them with any key
> sequence and activate the appropriate display with Fn-F7. Can this be
> done and if yes, how does such a XF86config look like?

Sure there should be a way. Have you tried multiple resolution entries in
the XF86Config file like:
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       24
    Modes       "1280x1024" "640x480" "1024x768"
  EndSubSection

Then you can switch resolutions by pressing Ctr-Alt-+ or - to cycle
through those listed in the Modes line. '+' does go from left to right in
this line.

That's all.

So, I would think: switch to external and then C-A-+
reverse: first match the resolution and then back to internal.

One thing I don't know is if it's possible to use the internal/external
switch while running X, as I have not been following the thread too
closely.

> As I really do believe in Linux and the smartness of its community, I'm
> quite sure that there must be a way to solve this. So hey, you gurus on
> this list, please don't tell me that there isn't! Any help, hint or tip
> is greatly appreciated!

We'll try hard.
Jocki
--
Joachim F. Selinger        /  \ /  \/\ /\/  \              ___