[ltp] Re: External Monitor Support

Joachim F. Selinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 10:25:50 +0200 (MEST)

Hi J.E.!

On 18 May, J.E. Cripps wrote:
>  I've been looking recently for a portable PC to use as
>  a travelling Linux box.   My basic desire is to replicate
>  a shell account environment (without the Internet connection
>  unless connected, of course), that is gcc, the other gnu
>  utilities and perl.
>
>  Many of the PCs ppl are selling are TPs, so I joined this
>  list.
>
>  But now I have another question. Can a TP run a desktop
>  monitor?  In some situations, this would be useful. However,
>  I probably would need the ordinary screen also.

Sure you can, all TP, to my knowledge, have an external monitor connector.
You can use that instead of the internat one.

There was a discussion of transparently switching between the two which
hasn't been solved to 100% satisfaction but even that seems to work
somehow.

What you can always do is restart X and use a different setup that uses
the external connector instead of the internal display.

Check the list archives (are there any? ;-) ) for that topic.

Jocki