[ltp] re Linux on a thinkpad???

Ken Firestone linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 09:15:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 May 2000, J.E. Cripps wrote:

   I've been looking recently for a portable PC to use as
   a travelling Linux box.   My basic desire is to replicate
   a shell account environment (without the Internet connection
   unless connected, of course), that is gcc, the other gnu
   utilities and perl.

I have had very good luck running the SuSE distro of Linux on a TP 240.

   Many of the PCs ppl are selling are TPs, so I joined this
   list.

   But now I have another question. Can a TP run a desktop
   monitor?  In some situations, this would be useful. However,
   I probably would need the ordinary screen also.

Generally, yes. Mine can run the external monitor as well as an external
mouse and keyboard with a cable.