[ltp] pcmcia ethernet card hassles

Mike linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 01:26:07 +0930

Hi guys,

I've just picked up a 600X with a NetGear FA410 10/100 pcmcia ethernet
card. The card works fine when I've booted to '98, but it seems to fail
to negotiate speed and duplex settings with my switch under linux
(debian potato, 2.2.15, pcmcia v3.1.8).

The card appears to be initialized okay, I've followed the instructions
on every Thinkpad 600 site I can find and it just won't work.

/var/log/messages shows the pcmcia subsystem and the card are
initialized fine, except for the following lines:
[...] wintermute kernel: eth0: found link beat
[...] wintermute kernel: eth0: lost link beat

The network is configured fine, and the problem perists if the switch
port is locked to any combination of half or full duplex and 10M or 100M
inseatd of trying to auto-negotiate. There aren't any resource conflicts
AFAIK.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA, Mike.

--