[ltp] Modem configuration with Lucent binary driver

Arcady Genkin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 13:35:35 -0400

I've accidentally deleted /dev/ttyS14, to which /dev/modem used to
point. I then ran "./MAKEDEV ttyS14" in /dev, and thought that I would
be back on track, but alas... now minicom complains "minicom: cannot
open /dev/ttyS14: No such device" (running minicom as root).
I since made "./MAKEDEV update", but it didn't help...

/dev/ttyS14 is the device that Lucent modem driver uses by default.

,----[ dmesg snipage ]
`----

,----[ lsmod snipage ]
`----

,----[ listing of the devices ]
| espresso:~# ls -l /dev/ttyS14 /dev/cua14
| crw-rw----   1 root     uucp       5,  78 Jul 17  1994 /dev/cua14
| crw-rw----   1 root     tty        4,  78 May 17 14:49 /dev/ttyS14
`----

FWIW, the system is Thinkpad 240, running Slackware 7, kernel 2.2.14.

Any ideas? What could I have done wrong? ;-/ Everything worked just
fine before I deleted the ttyS14.

p.s. I'm sending this message for the third time, but have never seen
it come back from the mailing list. If anyone saw my messages in the
last couple of days, could you let me know? I now resubscribed to the
list... hopefully this is going to help. ;^)