[ltp] Sound & APM (Was: 600E: serial + IR + sound + PC-modem = IRQ shortage)

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 20 May 2000 14:34:54 +0200

Till.Straumann@tu-berlin.de wrote:

[snip]
> >       Alsa sound (for fun)
>
>  - I use the sound driver distributed with the standard 2.2.14
>    kernel which works fine but doesnt survive APM suspend/resume.
>    Note that Alsa is said to have the same problem. However, I
>    created a patch for the standard kernel driver (not Alsa)
>    which fixes this (and other things). It can be found at
>       http://www-hft.ee.TU-Berlin.DE/~strauman
>
>    dont forget to exclude the sound (and midi, if enabled)
>    IRQ and port address in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.
>
> > Sound works.
>
>   Does Alsa now support APM (suspend/resume)? I tried an older
>   version...

[snip]

Seems to me that ALSA still doesn't support APM. I set up sound using
alsa-0.5.7-10 on my new 600X last night and after a suspend/resume,
sound is gone (as Thomas Hood describes it on his really helpful
homepage). Fortunately, SuSE (I'm on 6.4) provides an easy way to work
around this problem: Within /etc/rc.config.d/apmd.rc.config you can
configure

   APMD_STOP_SOUND_BEFORE_SUSPEND="alsa" (or "oss" or "kernel")

and the script /usr/sbin/apmd_proxy will take care of unloading the
sound modules before suspend and reloading them after resume. For
stopping, it tries to detect all apps that are accessing any sound
device and kills them (although this detection takes quite long and I
still don't know why ...).

Markus