[ltp] Turning a TP into a qiet X-station

Karl Anderson linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
25 May 2000 15:03:20 -0700

Friedemann Baitinger <fb@baiti.net> writes:

> Any ideas? Has this been tried before? Are there any alternative
> approaches to achieve the same goals? No, diskette boot is not an
> option, it takes too long and I never have attached a diskette drive to
> the ThinkPad anyway.

Mounting the root disk over NFS is an option.  I've only done it with
the kernel & LILO on a boot diskette, but it shouldn't be any
different to put it on a CD, & the HOWTOs (NFS-root, NFS-root-client)
mentioned using bootroms for completely diskless stations.  Should
work well with as much memory as you have because of disk buffering,
hopefully wouldn't even need a ramdisk.

I eventually gave it up because of the hassle, & even a PC Power &
Cooling power supply & Pentium CPU fan was annoying when I was trying
to sleep (no APM on the BIOS to stop the fan).

--
Karl Anderson      kra@monkey.org           http://www.pobox.com/~kra/