[ltp] RH 6.0 + 600E + 10GB Hard Drive

K. Holcomb linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 29 May 2000 09:12:29 -0400 (EDT)

>> HI.
>>
>> I know this may have been raised before, but I have serious trouble putting
>> RedHat 6.0 on my 600E.
>>
>> This 600E has a 10GB hard drive.
>> I know you can append install hda=x,y,z
>> x = Cyl, y =sec, z=heads.
>> x = 16383
>> y = 63
>> z = 15
>> I know that you can append the string to the boot prompt so that you can see
>> the hard drive.  This is what I did.
>>
>> I flashed the bios with the latest version from IBM as of Thursday 25th May.
>> Custom install (not workstation or server)
>> then it asked what I wished to use, disk druid or fdisk,
>> I picked Disk druid - and it came back with the error
>> 'hda not found'  or something like that...
>> I tried fdisk, same error.
>>
>> What do I do know?

    I have experienced exactly the same thing on the same model of Thinkpad
    with the same size disk (it's a Travelstar) only with RedHat 6.1.
    I had used Partition Magic 5.0 to try to set up the partitions so I was
    wondering whether it might have written a partition table that neither
    Disk Druid nor fdisk could read, but perhaps PM is blameless.  I've
    also upgraded the BIOS to the latest, and I've tried giving it the disk
    geometry both in the above form and in LBA format (as reported by
    Partition Magic), all to no avail.  I've ordered RH 6.2 in the hope it
    may magically work and I also downloaded, but haven't yet tried, a
    program called "fixdisktable" which claims to fix up broken partition
    tables.  Does anybody know whether this is the right approach (newer RH,
    fixdisktable) or is there something else I should try?