[ltp] serial port

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 00:12:52 +0100

Try the following:

----

a) Quick and dirty:

[me@here]$ setserial /dev/ttyS0 spd_vhi
[me@here]$ export PILOTPORT=/dev/ttyS0
[me@here]$ export PILOTRATE=115200
[me@here]$ mkdir ~/PilotBackup
[me@here]$ pilot-xfer -b ~/PilotBackup
[me@here]$

----

b) Permanent:

1) Set up the serial port(s) to allow high speed connects.

You should add the following lines to "/etc/rc.d/rc.serial":

>>> setserial /dev/ttyS0 spd_vhi
>>> setserial /dev/ttyS1 spd_vhi

This will set the serial UART to allow 115200 connections at boot time.
You will have to set this manually the first time or until you reboot !!!

2) Create a link to device which is used for sync'ing.

su to root and create the required link:

[me@here]$ su - <ENTER>
Password: <PASSWORD> <ENTER>
[root@here]# rm -f /dev/pilot <ENTER>

either this (DOS COM1)

[root@here]# ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/pilot <ENTER>

or this (DOS COM2)

[root@here]# ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/pilot <ENTER>

[root@here]# exit <ENTER>

3) Set up the pilot-link variables.

Edit $HOME/.bash_profile and add the following lines:

>>> # Set pilot-link variables
>>> PILOTPORT=/dev/pilot
>>> PILOTRATE=115200
>>> export PILOTPORT PILOTRATE

----

I personally use gpilotd, because it monitors both my serial port (when docked) and

my IrDA (IrComm) port (when I'm a road warrior).

Good luck,
    Bill.