[ltp] Experience from updating RH 6.2 to RH 7.0 on TP 770X

Friedemann Baitinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 10:40:04 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Burt Silverman/Raleigh/IBM wrote:

> Friedemann Baitinger      fb@baiti.net       http://baiti.net/fb/
>
> mentions his concerns about Token Ring with Red Hat 7.0. The concern is
> valid. Please obtain a newer PCMCIA package. In fact, get both a new PCMCIA
> package (3.1.21) from http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net AND new token ring
> 2.2.18 from www.linuxtr.net/download.html

Burt,
thanks for the hint. I am already using pcmcia-3.1.21 but don't remember
whether the last occurance of the problem was with 3.1.21. I will update
to the new Token Ring driver today and see tomorrow whether the problem
still persists. BTW: I have filed an incident with VMware because the
problem only manifests itself when running NT (haven't tried other
guests) in VMware. For those who are interested in more details, the
subject has been discussed in this mailing list under the
topic: "Linux-2.2.16 and VMware"

PS: I briefly browsed through the sources and noticed that you are the
one who updated those drivers. From the comments there I understand that
you have improved the behaviour if the ring cable is pulled/plugged,
however, the problem I have reported here under the thread "Linux-2.2.16
and VMware" was never acknowledged at all. Do you have any idea what
that problem was and whether it is probably fixed with your changes
also?

--
Friedemann Baitinger      fb@baiti.net       http://baiti.net/fb/