[ltp] Experience from updating RH 6.2 to RH 7.0 on TP 770X

Friedemann Baitinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 19:02:38 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Burt Silverman/Raleigh/IBM wrote:

> Friedemann Baitinger      fb@baiti.net       http://baiti.net/fb/ writes
>
> >With this new driver, is hot-pulling of the card now supported? Doing so
> >with Ethernet cards just works fine.
>
> Hot plug/unplug had better work. I spent too much time with it for it not

Will try this tomorrow in the Token Ring network and then report the
findings here ;)

> to! Try it out. Also, I hope you noticed a post I made yesterday regarding
> config.opts, and the best way to set that up.

Yes, I noticed the post. As I posted earlier, I am running a complete
new install of RedHat 7.0 and have done the following updates:

   linux-2.2.17 (can make the .config available on request see note
                 below)
   pcmcia-3.1.21
   token ring driver 2.2.18

The important thing is: I have not changed any .opts file from the
pcmcia-3.1.21 package and Token Ring now works ok (except I haven't had
the guts yet to try hot pulling the card I am still doing the 'ifconfig
tr0 down' first)

The config.opts reads: (irrelevant stuff left out)

# System resources available for PCMCIA devices

include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x800-0x8ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff
include memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff, memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff

# High port numbers do not always work...
# include port 0x1000-0x17ff

# Extra port range for IBM Token Ring
include port 0xa00-0xaff

# To fix sluggish network with IBM ethernet adapter...
#module "pcnet_cs" opts "mem_speed=600"

# Options for IBM Token Ring adapters
#module "ibmtr_cs" opts "mmiobase=0xd0000 srambase=0xd4000"

I am not saying that Burt's suggestions are incorrect I just wanted to
report 'what works for me', YMMV.

Although it may be off-topic within the context being discussed here but
since we are talking about installing a new kernel onto an otherwise
clean RedHat 7.0 installation it is probably worthwhile to mention the
following:

When configuring the linux kernel: Make sure to have the APM options set
correctly otherwise suspend/resume will not work and the kernel will
crash upon resume. The settings are:

CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
# CONFIG_TOSHIBA is not set

In addition: I have _disabled_ the loading of the 'apmd' daemon.

- --
Friedemann Baitinger      fb@baiti.net       http://baiti.net/fb/