[ltp] Experience from updating RH 6.2 to RH 7.0 on TP 770X

Burt Silverman/Raleigh/IBM linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 22:16:27 -0500

Friedemann Baitinger      fb@baiti.net       http://baiti.net/fb/
>The config.opts reads: (irrelevant stuff left out)

># System resources available for PCMCIA devices

>include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x800-0x8ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
>include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff
>include memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff, memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff

I just verified that pcmcia_cs is smart enough to try to use the 0xa0000000
or 0x60000000 prior to attempting to use 0xc0000-0xfffff. So although the
0xc0000 include is not necessary for ibmtr_cs, it does no harm to have it
in the config.opts, for example, if it is required by another module.
Unfortunately, I had to add a printk statement to verify; I probably should
have put that into the driver (or pcmcia_cs can be compiled with
debugging).

On another issue related to !magic!, Friedemann writes:

>When configuring the linux kernel: Make sure to have the APM options set
>correctly otherwise suspend/resume will not work and the kernel will
crash upon resume. The settings are:

>CONFIG_APM=y
># CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
>CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
>CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
># CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
>CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=y
>CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
>CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
># CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
># CONFIG_TOSHIBA is not set

>In addition: I have _disabled_ the loading of the 'apmd' daemon.

I am grateful for this piece of information, and I will see if _DO_ENABLE,
_CPU_IDLE, _IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE, and/or _ALLOW_INTS, all of which I have
set incorrectly, fixes my 770 resume problem. I never had problems with my
760EL, unlike the 770. I figured it couldn't hurt to repeat Friedemann's
findings here.
Burt