[ltp] Pressing NumLk

billy ball linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 01:48:41 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, George Staikos wrote:

> On Thursday 09 November 2000 17:14, Crispin Cowan wrote:
> > To be able to switch resolution within X, you need to be able to
> > generate the key chord ALT-CTRL-+ ("alt", "control", and "plus") where
> > the "plus" is the key on the numeric keypad, and not the one on the top
> > row.  Problem is, when I press SHIFT-NumLk under Linux, I get "boop" and
> > no num locking.  This was not a problem on my previous Toshiba/Linux
> > laptop.
> >
> > Anyone know how to make the numlock key work on a TP 770Z under Linux?

Press Numlock, then hold Fn while you press the number keys...

to hardware-shift resolutions, press Fn+Ctrl+Alt+keypad+/-

to use XFree86's built-in keypad mouse, press Ctrl+Numlock, then press and
hold Fn while using the keypad to move the mouse in 8 directions (5 is a
click, while /, *, or -, then 5 simulates one of the three mouse
buttons)... this even works with window managers that don't support keys
for pointer navigation...

>   An alternative:
>
>   XF86 now has the video mode extensions so you can switch resolution in
> software.  If you use KDE, there is a tray applet available to do this.  I'm
> sure there are other applications to do this too.

that's interesting, and about time! now perhaps we can have a "monitor"
control ala' MacOS!