[ltp] Experience from updating RH 6.2 to RH 7.0 on TP 770X

Friedemann Baitinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:18:07 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Burt Silverman/Raleigh/IBM wrote:

> On another issue related to !magic!, Friedemann writes:
>
> >When configuring the linux kernel: Make sure to have the APM options set
> >correctly otherwise suspend/resume will not work and the kernel will
> crash upon resume. The settings are:
>
> >CONFIG_APM=y
> ># CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> >CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> >CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> ># CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
> >CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=y
> >CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
> >CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
> ># CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
> ># CONFIG_TOSHIBA is not set
>
> >In addition: I have _disabled_ the loading of the 'apmd' daemon.
>
> I am grateful for this piece of information, and I will see if _DO_ENABLE,
> _CPU_IDLE, _IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE, and/or _ALLOW_INTS, all of which I have
> set incorrectly, fixes my 770 resume problem. I never had problems with my
> 760EL, unlike the 770. I figured it couldn't hurt to repeat Friedemann's
> findings here.
> Burt

While we are at it, I'm glad to report that I now finally have a sound
configuration working which works as one would expect. The correct
drivers are loaded from /etc/rc.d/init.d scripts and the modules keep
operating correctly even after multiple suspend/resume cycles. No need
for any pre-suspend or post-resume hooks executing sequences of
rmmod/insmod/modprobe commands!

Again, it's hard to tell what exactly made the difference but the
combination of the following does it:

  o RedHat 7.0
  o linux-2.2.17
  o pcmcia-3.1.21
  o ibmtr-2.2.18
  o alsa-driver-0.5.9d
  o plus some nicely tuned init scripts and a few entries in
    /etc/conf.modules

For those who have never visited: http://baiti.net/tp770x/  this is the
place where I usually document my experiences.

- --
Friedemann Baitinger      fb@baiti.net       http://baiti.net/fb/