[ltp] Detecting Thinkpad Selectabase 600 (TP 600X laptop)

Shigeo Tanai linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 02:12:22 +0900

Greg,

To detect Selectabase, you might be able to use tpctl.
But I think Selectabase is a pass-through device so
unless specific initialization is required you probably
don't have to do anything.

If not, putting machine to sleep and waking it up with
base attached will do minimum initialization.

Now to use external monitor read the following.

----------
With /etc/X11/XFree86Config file:

0)  Make back of /etc/X11/XFree86Config file so that you can revert back.
	cp -a /etc/X11/XFree86Config /etc/X11/XFree86Config.pre-ext

1)  Add/uncomment 'Option extern_disp' entry in Section "Device".

    Note:
	When you startx, your LCD will blank out.  Just press
	Fn+F7 to toggle between external only, internal only, and
	both.

	You could also add/uncomment 'Option intern_disp' to use
	both internal LCD and external monitor.
	However, in that case, external monitor's frequency will
	be same as that for internal LCD so you might see some
	flicker.

2)  Create new 'Modeline' entry in Section "Display" to
    drive external display with different resolution/frequency.
    Entry specifies screen resolution and driving frequency
    (including vertical sync relates to flickering).

	# Example -- make sure what you specify is within monitor's
	#            capability.
	Modeline  "1024x768ext"   75.00 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync
	Modeline "640x480"     25.175 640  664  760  800   480  491  493  525

3)  Add new Modeline name to 'Modes' entry in Subsection "Display"
    in Section "Screen".  First name in 'Modes' entry is the default.

	# Example
	Modes       "1024x768" "1024x768ext" "640x480"

With /etc/X11/xinit/Xmodmap:

1)  Add following to enable NumLk key in X.
	keycode 77 = Num_Lock

Run startx, toggle between different video modes by pressing
Ctl+Alt+Keypad-Plus or Ctl+Alt+Keypad-Minus.  Also as noted
above, you can press Fn+F7 to toggle between different monitor.

    Note:
	You could have two separate XFree86Config file.
	Just specify which config file to use (see man XFree86).
		startx -- -xf86config myconfig
	But the man page states that this can be only done if
	you're root.  :-(

Enjoy.  :-)

Geo