[ltp] Sound Stuff

David Josephsen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:52:08 -0600

Jake. For the Alsa Modules to work you have to have basic sound support compiled into your kernel.  Read the Kernel Howto and recompile with sound support on.  Nothing else needs to be there (ie card specific support) if you are going to be using the alsa drivers just sound support.

to Keep from launching straight into run level 5 when you boot up (graphical mode), Edit your /etc/inittab file. Look for a line like "id:5:initdefault:" change the 5 to a 3 so that you boot straight into run level 3 instead.  For more info on runlevels, see the bootprompt howto. Hope that helps.

Hey has anyone needed to boot into dos and use some crazy IBM utilities to get sound working? Think this could be my problem? thanks again.

>>> "Jake Holmen" <jakeholmen@hotmail.com> 11/14/00 07:52 AM >>>
HI,  I also have a 600e - I am running vanilla 6.2 Redhat.

But when I ran sndconfig I found that it told me that it didn't have kernel
support to enable this card, but ALSA www.alsa.org had a driver.

But when I went there, they didn't have a driver for my card?

Can someone post a url to download the source for this driver?
Regards,
Jake.

PS - also - can someone tell me how to get X windows NOT to appear on boot -
it's annoying me.
Regards.