[ltp] Experience from updating RH 6.2 to RH 7.0 on TP 770X

Jon A. Solworth linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
20 Nov 2000 14:13:56 -0600

Friedemann Baitinger <fb@baiti.net> writes:

> >         I have decided that Redhat is very, very bad and I am now using
> > debian (as per Thomas Hood's advice) and am very happy.  Haven't tried
> > 4.0 again, but things seemmuch more stable under debian.
>
> Could you elaborate? What is bad with RedHat and what does Debian do
> better?

        The fundamental advantage of Debian is that they have an infrequent,
and very stable set of releases which are compensated with by a list of
internet sites which enable much more aggressive updates.  It is easy to
update a Debian system and far more reliable than with RedHat, assuming
that you have access to a fast internet connection.  The number of packages
for Debian is far larger and maintained in a distributed manner.

        RedHat 7.0 problems:

        1. Broke apm on 600E
        2. Apm scripts provided referenced programs in wrong directory
        3. Lockups in X windows several times a day
        4. Documentation terrible given the bleeding edge introductions:
                 eg. gcc, xinetd, etc.
        5. Propensity to ship non-released versions
           >> Especially the non-released gcc compiler.
        6. Undocumented system administration

        Now, debian requires a lot more questions to be answered during
the install, but then the system is set up properly.  With redhat, things
need to be changed by hand and its difficult to find the files.

Jon