[ltp] TP A20m P III 600

Michael Kroh linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:29:58 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, James Hawtin wrote:

>Would it be possible to have an english version along side the german as
>us poor dumb people who do not know german cannot share your wisdom.
>
>James

Sorry 'bout that. I was curious as to how much german I had retained (not
very much, apparently), and I meant to have english as well, but I got
caught up in it a little... :)

Before I go on with the german homework, I'd like to point out that
editing /usr/src/linux/include/tty.h so that the poll_wait member in
tty_struct is moved to the bottom works *wonderfully* with the
binary-only ltmodem.o driver provided by lucent.  For instructions and
goodness: http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto.html

I gave up on my winmodem long ago (especially since I got ricochet), but
it's great to actually have it working!

Anyways - the fish seems to have mostly agreed with me this time, except
on some key issues regarding the placement of negatives. but here's what I
meant to say, FWIW:

>On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Michael Kroh wrote:
>

>> Ich kann Deutsch nur ein kleines bisschen... :)

I can only speak a tiny bit of german...

>> Welche Kernel Version laufst du?  Wo hast du ltmodem-0.9.9.tgz
>> nachgeladene? (Es tut mir leid fur meine Grammatik und Vokabeln...)

which kernel version are you running?  Where did you download
ltmodem-0.9.9.tgz from? (Sorry for my grammar and vocabulary...)

>> Von dem LTmodem homepage (http://www.close.u-net.com/ltmodem.html):
>>
>> Bitte beachten: Dieses ist nicht ein korrekter Treiber! Es funktioniert
>> NICHT mit PPP!

>From the LTmodem homepage (http://www.close.u-net.com/ltmodem.html):

Please note: This is not a proper driver!  It will NOT work with PPP!

>> Also, kannst du nicht mit ltmodem-0.9.9.tgz ppp laufen... :(

Therefore, you can't run ltmodem-0.9.9.tgz with ppp... :(  [This was a
grammar exercise for me - pologies]

>> Jedoch, mit Kernel Version 2.2.14 kannst du ein nur-binar Treiber
>> benutzen.  Der Treiber ist auf Lucent und hat keinen Quellcode.

However, with Kernel Version 2.2.14 you can use a binary-only driver.  The
driver is from Lucent and has no source code.

>> http://www.linmodems.org/linx565a.zip
>> http://www.linmodems.org/linux568.zip
>> http://www.definitesoftware.com/LucentPCI-1.1-1.i386.rpm
>>
>> Probierst (versuche? - En: Try) LucentPCI-1.1-1.i386.rpm... veilleicht.

Try (try? - En: Try) LucentPCI-1.1-1.i386.rpm... maybe.

>> Ich weiss nicht - habe ich kein Gluck mit WinModems auf dem A20m... jetzt.

I don't know - I have no luck with winmodems on my a20m... yet. [now?]

>> Wenn ich laufen die WinModem kann, wurde ich du uber email sagen...

If I can run the WinModem, I will tell you via email... [vocabularistic
gymnastics again...]

>> Es tut mir leid, wieder, fur meines Deutsch...  Ich habe kein Deutsch fur
>> vier Jahren sprachen - und dann nur auf Hochschule. :)

Again, I'm sorry for my german... I haven't spoken german for four years -
and then only in high school. :)

>> Tschuss!

Later!

And now I'll have a go at this one... It's amazing how much easier it is
to read/hear a foreign (spoken) language than it is to write/speak it.
Programming languages all the more so.

>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 Udo.Bergmann@Seiko-Instruments.de wrote:
>>
>> >Hallo und guten Tag,
>> >bin neu in dieser Mailing Liste und spreche leider nur sehr wenig Englisch.
>> >Habe einen IBM TP A20m Typ 2628-41G, RedHat 6.2 und KDE 1.1.2.

Hello and good day.
I'm new in this mailing list and unfortunately I only speak very little
english.  I have an IBM TP A20m Type 2628-41G, Redhat 6.2 and kde 1.1.2.

>> >Linux und X laufen gut, habe aber noch Probleme mit dem WinModem.
>> >Habe schon die Datei "ltmodem-0.9.9.tgz" eingespielt und mit "make" und
>> >"make install" installiert, aber wie geht es jetzt weiter?

Linux and X run well, but I'm still having problems with the winmodem.
I've already compiled? the package "ltmodem-0.9.9.tgz" and installed it
with "make" and "make install", but where does it go from here?

>> >Fuer Hilfe waere ich sehr Dankbar

Any help would be greatly appreciated (lit: For help I would be very
thankful)

>> >Udo Bergmann

So how'd I do? :)