[ltp] Experience from updating RH 6.2 to RH 7.0 on TP 770X

Jon A. Solworth linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
25 Nov 2000 12:03:11 -0600

Dean,
        Of course, the .0 rule of thumb is widely known.  But the assertion
that M$ software .0 release is more stable than open source projects has, AFAIK
no basis in fact.  There are numerous reasons why proprietary software has more
inherent problems:

        1. Proprietary vendors tend to increase complexity to make it
        difficult on competitors.  This increases quality assurance problems.
        (Note that Unix was a non-proprietary solution).

        2. Release cycles for proprietary products are often driven by
        marketing, rather than technical, considerations.  Proprietary
        products ship according to schedules.

        3. Free software makes greater use of the internet for identification
        and update of problems.

        Also note that the amount of software distributed with linux is far
larger than with proprietary distributions (eg. compilers, latex, ....).

        The problems with Redhat 7.0 stem from two issues:

        1. Failure to test even the most basic issues, ex JDK 1.2 would
        not run any Java program.

        2. Some really unsound decisions
                a. gcc 2.96
                b. variously patched, non-standard software

        I attribute 2) to the proprietary side of Redhat.

        I've switched to Debian, which is the soundest software release I've
ever used and with the most painless way for resolve problems there after.
(Of course, it does have drawbacks with complexity of its install and update,
but it is very well suited for the experienced unix user).

Jon