[ltp] Re: Linux on the T20

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:58:35 +0000 (GMT)

> 1. While modem protocols may be publicly defined via standards, some
> aspects of modem performance are not covered, such as adapting to varied
> line conditions. Companies such as Lucent, 3Com, and IBM (remember the ol'
> ACP/Mwave modem?) have spent millions of dollars on field research in
> order to fine-tune their products to even the most diverse line
> conditions. These fine-tuning details are a tremendous source of
> intellectual property among modem vendors since the effects of the
> fine-tuning can help in product differentiation (e.g. modem A maintains a
> 47Kbps connection in a location with degraded lines, while modem B can
> only connect at 33.6Kbps).

Err why does that make a difference? I do not get a choice of which win
modem I can't use built into my laptop! Product differenciation is not
important, in desktops very few people buy win modems cos everyones knows
they suck. Laptops are a captive market. We have to look at the machine as
a package, a win modem in any form makes little difference

> 2. Modem vendors may have licensed intellectual property from other
> companies and integrated it into their products. The owner of the licensed
> IP may not permit it to be exposed, since it is a source of revenue for
> them. This would prevent the modem vendor from open-sourcing any code that
> would expose the licensed intellectual property.

So choise a different hardware supplier, lucier is aways like this, I
left a company cost lucent bought them, you should see the contract they
wanted me to sign!... Also don't forget "IBM supports linux 100%" Cough
Cough splutter.

James