[ltp] Re: Linux on the T20

George Staikos linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:09:16 -0500

On Tuesday 28 November 2000 12:50, Keith Frechette wrote:

> You may have missed an earlier note of mine, in which I stated that Lucent
> has re-worked their driver such that it is comprised of a ".o" file
> (containing all their intellectual property), a Linux-specific portion in
> source form, and a script for building and installing the driver. This

[....]

  Ah cool.  This is exactly what I was referring to.  This is what Olicom
does.

> Regarding your question on why Lucent (or some other modem chip vendor)
> would not totally open source their software-modem code, here are a couple
> of reasons.

  Oh I fully understand these issues..  This was never in question.  The
actual communication with the modem hardware is the part that should be open
sourced, and obviously is the part that is opensource now.  By communication
I basically mean the interrupt handler and port i/o I guess.  Of course the
softmodem code  contains proprietary information.

Thanks for clarifying this though.

--

George Staikos