FW: [ltp] Thinkpad i Series 1200 model 71U

Bruce Cowan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:34:52 -0800

SMI support claims that they have given a driver XFree86, but as I said
below, XFree86 claims no support for 4.0. What is the real situation?

Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Cowan
Sent: Tuesday, 28 November 2000 9:37
To: linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Subject: [ltp] Thinkpad i Series 1200 model 71U

I'm thinking of buying a new Thinkpad and the i Series 1200 71U model looks
quite attractive, except that XFree86.org claims that no one is porting the
SMI Lynx EM4+ driver from XFree 3.3.6 to 4.0.1.

I'm also wondering about other support for the machine. Such as sound and
APM. I've looked at the various Linux notebook pages I can find, but the
71U is brand new and I don't trust that IBM didn't make some changes to
break some working drivers. Also, all those pages report APM troubles.

Can anyone (IBM?) give me better news? Thanks.

Bruce