[ltp] TP 570 won't hibernate...

Shigeo Tanai linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:04:20 +0900

At 10:25 00/11/29, Scott McDermott wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 07:56:32AM +0900, Shigeo Tanai wrote:
>> Also, are you sure that you're using a kernel that has APM support
>> turned on?  (dmesg | grep apm)
>
>Truth be told, that is irrelevant, but during initial tests, yes. I'm tired of
>doing full re-installs to test it.

Well, I wasn't sure if it had any relevance at the time of previous
message.  However, after booting up with "apm=off", I've concluded
that you need to have APM support enabled in your kernel if you want
to hybernate.  Without it, machine won't hybernate.  It just ignores
Fn+F12.

So for your reference, here is an excerpt from my .config file:

CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set

# I think I should set CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE for more power saving.

Also, you need to be careful with your BIOS setting.  During
my investigation, I've found that if [Advanced]->[Power]->
[RediSafe] is enabled, linux won't hybernate.  You need to
disable it.

>> Just be curious:  which partition is active & bootable on your HD?
>> Would playing around with those flags help?
>
>Linux was bootable before, right now the dos partition is.

FYI, I have DOS partition set as both bootable and visible.
Without "bootable" flag, DOS/Win won't boot right.
But this seems not affect hybernation, as toggled them
around with no effect.

Geo

PS  If you have RedHat handy, give it a try.  RedHat usually
    have APM support turned on.  I used one of its derivative.
    I hope you're not offended. :-)

    [I know that if you know what you're doing, the choice of
     distribution really doesn't matter.]