[ltp] TP 570 won't hibernate...

Shigeo Tanai linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:40:17 +0900

At 14:11 00/11/29, Scott McDermott wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 01:04:20PM +0900, Shigeo Tanai wrote:
>>
>> that you need to have APM support enabled in your kernel if you want
>> to hybernate.  Without it, machine won't hybernate.  It just ignores
>> Fn+F12.
>
>Try unplugging the power supply?  Anyway, my machine isn't ignoring it.  It's
>trying to hibernate, but never saves the data to the disk.  It just powers
>off at the point you'd expect it to start saving to the disk.

My case:  No, plugded in or not.  And it is not one of those " if
plugged in and have network card inserted, system refuse to sleep"
thing.

Maybe that you need to suspect your hardware.
Was memory module added at this upgrade?  How about testing it
with continuous kernel compile, to see if you get sig-11 error?
Or could it be the CMOS?

#  Rest of message doesn't really have relevance in trying to
#  get your hybernation to work.  Just a few thoughts and
#  correction on my part.

>> my investigation, I've found that if [Advanced]->[Power]->
>> [RediSafe] is enabled, linux won't hybernate.  You need to
>
>I'm almost positive I've used that under Linux in the past, just to see what
>it was.

Really?  Right after booting up linux, it won't hybernate.
Maybe I need to have system running for a while with some idle
period, so that BIOS will ready (thus RediSafe) itself for
hybernation.

>> FYI, I have DOS partition set as both bootable and visible.
>> Without "bootable" flag, DOS/Win won't boot right.
>
>That's incorrect.  DOS will be perfectly fine with the Linux partition set
>bootable with a properly configured lilo.

You're right.  However, what I wanted to convey (and incorrectly done so)
was that if your DOS partition is hidden, unless you make it visible or
mark it as bootable, it won't boot.  And as you pointed out, this can be
configured in lilo, but marking it "bootable" can be done, once for all,
with fdisk and its likes.
(BTW, linux fdisk and LILO allows multiple partitions to be bootable.)

# Why do I want to hide a DOS partition?  I usually have two editions
# of MS OS product, and I don't want them to be poking at other's
# partition.

>> PS  If you have RedHat handy, give it a try.  RedHat usually
>
>I tried it, too.  No further success.

Sorry to hear that.

Anyway, I have no more clue as to what may be wrong.
I hope you get it working soon some how.  :-)

Geo