[ltp] New Model Thinkpads??

Wayne Scott linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:36:59 -0700

From: "John D'Ausilio" <john@sort.net>
> I'd be interested in hearing experiences with the A21p specifically, as
> we're thinking about selling off our 770Z's and replacing them with that
> model. The screen is supposed to be 15" 1600x1200, with a Rage
> something-or-another that has 16M of display mem.

I am typing this message on an A20p (What is a A21p?) running Debian.

The machine has a 15" screen with a resolution of 1400x1050.

The video adapter is a ATI Rage 128 with 16M of memory, it can run
1600x1200 on the external display.

Here is the most referenced site about Linux on an A20p
http://www.zhlive.ch/zhl_contents_linux.html

The main problem is that the ATI Rage is not supported by XFree86
3.3.6. You have to move to XFree 4.0.1 to get Rage support.  And even
there the release driver is rough.  I am running the latest CVS
version to fix some problems.  The main problem remaining is that the
XFree86 driver cannot use the external VGA port.

Other than that is Laptop is great.  I have never used a faster X
display and the screen has better resolution than I was used to on my
desktop.

-Wayne