[ltp] i1200 and graphics initialisation

Thomas R. Dean linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:00:19 -0400

Date sent:      	Sun, 8 Oct 2000 16:36:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:           	Christian Schneider <christian.schneider@Smail.Uni-Koeln.de>
To:             	linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Subject:        	[ltp] i1200 and graphics initialisation
Send reply to:  	linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com

> Hello,
>
> I am using an i1200 series ThinkPad (Model 1161) and have a problem using
> X. When I'm doing a cold boot, X has some severe drawing errors such as
> not drawing window backgrounds. However, when I first start Win 98 and
> then reboot into Linux everything's fine which leeds me into thinking,
> that the graphics card (Silicon Motion Lynx 3M+, with XSVGA and
> smi-driver) needs some initialisation that the X-Server cannot provide.
> Unfortunately, the driver for my card is not documented.

I don't have my 1161 handy right now, but I don't have the problem.
Using RedHat 6.2, XFree 3.x, default setup.  They only issue I had
was I had to widen the vsync from 60Hz to 55-60Hz. Otherwise
I've had no X problems.  Can you give me a specific example that I
can reproduce?

My main problem is that I still can't get the ethernet card going.
The same card works on the 770 running the same installation
(RedHat 6.2) at work. I'm guessing it has something to do with
a new PCMCIA controller, although someone has suggested it
might have something to do with sound.

Tom.