[ltp] 770Z and External Video Projectors

Crispin Cowan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:01:40 -0700

Crispin Cowan wrote:

> I have a ThinkPad 770Z (9549-8AU, 13" 1280x1024 LCD) and an urgent need
> to get it to talk to an external video projector.

Answering my own question, I've discovered some operational tweeks that
help get things done:

   * You cannot switch from LCD to external video, or from external video
     to LCD, *while* X is on the screen.  However, if you do an ALT-CTRL-F#
     to a text-mode console, switch video, and then ALT-CTRL-F7 back to X,
     it works fine.
   * This hack also works for suspend, i.e. if you switch to a text console
     first, you can suspend and resume, and then switch back to the X
     console.
   * This mode line produces a workable external video at 1024x768, which
     is low-enough resolution for my InFocus LP400 to display

          Modeline  "1024x768"   75.00 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync

I hope this helps someone on this list.

Some respondants also suggested that I check the list archives.  I learned
of the list from this web page
http://www.Linux-ThinkPad.org/mail-list.html but I didn't see any sign of
an archive.  Can someone point me at archives?

Finally, I'd like to apologies for posting my query twice:  latency from
post->appearance appears to be about 90 minutes, which is much longer than
I am accustomed to.

Thanks,
    Crispin