[ltp] Multiple displays using xinerama

Crispin Cowan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:22:48 -0700

"Fricke, Gregory D." wrote:

> All,
> I have a 770X running RedHat7.0 with a port replicator.  Under Win98 I am
> able to plug a monitor into the replicator and extend the screen to the new
> monitor, i.e. the desktop extends across two displays (ext. monitor and
> laptop).  What I am wondering is if it is possible to extend the desktop
> under Linux using something similar to xinerama, with a monitor plugged into
> the port replicator?  Thanks in advance.

The feature you describe is called "dual headed" or "two headed" display.  It
is a specific feature of MS Windows, and has only recently appeared in
XFree86.  IIRC, it is a feature of XFree86 4.0, and some commercial vendors of
X servers have supported it prior to that.

I doo not think that it is not a hardware feature, and is not likely related to
your port replicator.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.