[ltp] Thinkpad 760E

Robert H. Brown linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:55:56 -0700

Dan wrote:

>    Hi all!
>
>    I have made a lot of tests with my TP760E but still
>  can't get rid of the occasional blinking of the screen.
>  It seems:
>  - not related to the CPU load
>  - related to the hard drive activity sometimes (although
>  the HD is okay),
>  - related to the heating up of the electronics
>  - maybe related to the X configuration (I am not perfectly
>  sure of the Modeline I use)
>  - present when running Netscape but not only then
>    My TP760E has a Cyber 9385 video chip and a 1024x768 TFT
>  display. The screen sometimes blinks unexplainably and I
>  would like to fix it. It's not permanent but is annoying.
>    If anyone had similar experiences please write me your
>  opinions and/or suggestions.
>
>    Thanks,
>    Dan

>         Dan PROTOPOPESCU
>         Physics Department, DeMeritt Hall
>         University of New Hampshire
>         Durham NH 03824, USA
>
>         Phone: (1) 603-862-1685 (office)
>                (1) 603-868-9836 (@ home)
>         Fax:   (1) 603-862-2998
>         Homepage: http://einstein.unh.edu/protopop

Dan,

I have a 770 ED and I have had the same problem with XF86 version 3. My
guess is that the problem is a subtle timing thing because it is
sensitive to the machine temperature. I played around with XF86 on mine
a whole bunch without success, so I gave up and bought the Accelerated X
server. It works fine and I've never looked back!

--Bob

--
Robert H. Brown, Professor                      |rhb@abante.lpl.arizona.edu
Depts. of Planetary Sciences and Astronomy      |abante1@earthlink.net