[ltp] Thinkpad 760E

Bradley W. Langhorst linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:19:11 -0400

Dan wrote:

>   Thank you all for your replies.
>   As I played yesterday with the XF86, I noticed actually that the
> flickering is present in VGA mode too, which makes me think it is
> not a X server problem.
>   It is related to the temperature of the electronics (760E/ED series
> are known for overheating -  see: http://www-1.ibm.com/servlet/support/manager?
> rt=0&rs=0&org=psg&doc=C8AECCABD1B6C2BF802564260041DD40 ) as it does not
> occur when the machine is cold.
>   Therefore, I think there is no software solution for the problem (I
> doubt that stuff like cpu throttling or apmiser would do much). If you
> think I am wrong, I would be happy to hear your opinions.
>
>   Dan
I think it is possible that the flickering could be remedied - I see no
flickering at 1024x768 and 32bpp, but I do at 24 or 16 or 8 bpp.  It is
also possible that your flickering is not at all similar to my
flickering and were talking about two completely separate problems.

There were some driver problems under windows a while back that
displayed the same problem for me. A driver revision ameliorated the
flickering (though did not eliminate it).  I hate to ask but does your
screen flicker under windows when the machine is hot?  If it does then
I'll have to agree with you.  One other test that occurs to me, do you
see the flickering on an external display?  If it is heat related you
should...

brad
--
Bradley W. Langhorst