[ltp] Linux-2.2.16 and VMware

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 10:08:45 +0200

Friedemann Baitinger wrote:

> since VMware was mentioned lately quite a few times I think it's
> probably worthwhile to mention the experiences I made with it in
> conjunction with linux-2.2.16:
>
> After I had upraded 3 of my Linux servers with 2.2.16 shortly after that
> kernel came out I finally decided to upgrade the ThinkPad (RH
> 6.2) too. It worked all fine until I started VMware running NT 4.0 as a
> guest. As soon as the NT tried to connect through host-only networking
> to some other host the machine died so badly that NT's disk was totaly
> corrupted. The hang was consistently reproducable but only when
> connected to a TokenRing network. In my Ehthernet LAN it worked fine. In
> the course of investigating I have also upgraded to the latest version
> of the VMware distribution, Version 2.0.1 but it wasn't any better with
> this version. Since the NT's disk file consistently crashed so badly
> that I had to restore a backup (fortunately I had one) I finally went
> back to 2.2.14 on the ThinkPad and everything works just fine as it did
> before.

Unfortunately I must confirm this. Installed SuSE 7.0 (i.e. kernel
2.2.16) a week ago on my TP 600X and now configured VMware (2.0.2-621)
with NT 4.0 as guest. Everything was fine, as long as the machine was
not connected to the network, e.g. at home. At work, when connected to
the Token Ring network, the machine got stuck shortly after booting the
guest OS in VMware, right when the NT login window came up and NT tried
to set up its network connection, I suppose.

And yes, it also did crash my NT partition ... :-( I wasn't able to boot
NT native afterwards. Luckily I've made a backup yesterday.

> Is anybody successfully using a ThinkPad 770X with Linux-2.2.16 and
> VMware 2.0.1 with NT 4.0 as a guest OS and doing host-only networking
> through a Token Ring network? If you plan to do so, and in fact whenever
> you make significant changes to the setup, I'd like to strongly suggest
> to make a backup of VMware's guest OS disk file.

I'd like to ask the same question, but for all types of TP. Is there
anybody who has this setup up and running?

Markus