[ltp] It never rains...

Sun, 3 Sep 2000 16:42:45 +0100 (BST)

I've just left my thinkpad 600 (model 2645) on a table for 2 days and
something has happened to it. The networking has died completely.

The kernel is 2.2.16 with OpenWall and USB patches. Using tpctl and
setserial I set up the surreal ports and parallel port up immediately
before pcmcia starts up, as so:

resource state:
    floppy controller:  enable  0x3f0 IRQ6
    parallel port:      disable 0x3bc IRQ9 ext'd
    serial port 1:      enable  0x2f8 IRQ3
    serial port 2:      enable  0x3f8 IRQ4

/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3

Immediately afterwards, cardmgr starts up. Amongst its messages are:
Intel PCIC probe: <5>i82365L ioremap failed: bad kernel!

which I'd never noticed before. It does pick up that it is a TI 1250A
PCI-to-CardBus, and starts watching both sockets.

It then picks up that socket 1 contains my DE-660 Ethernet card, and
inserts the same modules as it has always done, and brings up eth0 as an
NE2000 compatible at 0x300, irq 5, and configures it. The routing is also
configured. I can see no difference to the way it was set up 2 days ago. I
am the only person with an account on it, and I am thge only one who knows
the root password, and, in fact, the only one who had been at the house
who knew linux.. but anyway...

I try pinging something on the same subnet, and I get 100% packet loss,
and an error message appears in syslog:
Sep  3 16:25:15 DreamSpace kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lst interrupt?
TSR=0x3, ISR=0x3, t=972

I tried a different bit of cat 5: same results
I tried a different network card (a NetVin EP401. It uses thge same
drivers, aparently. At least, it gets detected, and the same modules are
loaded.): same results

Both the other bit of cat 5 and the NetVin came out of another laptop,
which is how I know that they were a good connection.

Using the NetVin card, I get 0x43 in the ISR field (consistently).

I'm really annoyed now, because I haven't got my IR working yet, and I
haven't got the serial port working yet, and it just seems that the whole
machine is falling to bits around me. I've just spent a pile of cash on
getting it a new hard disk, and I don't want to just bin it, but how am
I meant to transfer off the 3 meg data files I have on it?

If no-one can think of anything, then I have another thinkpad which I can
use for parts. My dad used to own it, until the base 32 meg on the board
fell apart, and the machine ceased working. He took mie for his trip, and
broke the screen. I took the screen (and the case, since it wasn't broken
either) off my dad's machine, and put them into mine, so I have got the
parts spare, but if anyone happens to know if they're detachable by
design, I'd be grateful to know.

Thanks in advance,

rik