[ltp] Anyone tried 2.2.17 sound on a TP600X?

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 06 Sep 2000 17:10:30 +0200

Bjorn Knutsson wrote:

> Markus Alt wrote:
> > Bjorn Knutsson wrote:
> > These error messages look familiar to me. I usually got them with my
> > former installation (SuSE 6.4 with 2.2.14 kernel & ALSA sound) and PCI
> > bus power saving turned on (sound didn't work). Did you try turning PCI
> > bus power saving off? (From within ThinkPad utilities under Windoze or
> > with PS2.EXE.)
>
> Yes, PCI bus power saving is off and sound using the ALSA driver works.
>
> > > When I recompiled the kernel without the native support and install
> ALSA
> > > again,
> > > everything works fine as before.
> > >
> > > Anyone else tried it and got it to work?
> >
> > Also not with built-in sound support, but with ALSA loaded as modules
> > (now speaking of my current SuSE 7.0 with 2.2.16 & alsa-0.5.8-36).
> > Important is the last option in the following line from
> > /etc/modules.conf:
> >
> >    options snd-card-cs461x snd_index=0 snd_id=card1 snd_check_clkrun=1
> >                                                     ******************
> >
> > As I understand it, this "snd_check_clkrun" causes the PCI bus to be
> > probed and thus not being tuned off if sound needs it. Works fine for
> > me, even together with suspend & resume.
>
> Oh, interesting. I have added scripts to unload/load modules when
> suspending/resuming.

I've just set

   APMD_STOP_SOUND_BEFORE_SUSPEND="alsa"

in the last line of /etc/rc.config.d/apmd.rc.config. Of course, apmd has
run, so also set START_APMD=yes within /etc/rc.config.

Markus