[ltp] Linux-2.2.16 and VMware

Bradley W. Langhorst linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 11:54:31 -0400

Harry Mangalam wrote:

> I hope this isn't a breach of netiquette, but "Bradley W. Langhorst"
> <brad@langhorst.com> or bwlang@genome.wi.mit.edu (don't know which is
> current) has posted a couple of times that he's using this type of machine
> (770E) with NT/VMware and since I'm just about to try this, I'd be
> interested in hearing others opine about their experiences.
>
> Brad, any words of wisdom, gotchas?
>
> Harry
>
> Markus Alt wrote:
> >
> > Friedemann Baitinger wrote:
> > >
> > > since VMware was mentioned lately quite a few times I think it's
> > > probably worthwhile to mention the experiences I made with it in
> > > conjunction with linux-2.2.16:
> > >
> > > After I had upraded 3 of my Linux servers with 2.2.16 shortly after that
> > > kernel came out I finally decided to upgrade the ThinkPad (RH
> > > 6.2) too. It worked all fine until I started VMware running NT 4.0 as a
> > > guest. As soon as the NT tried to connect through host-only networking
> > > to some other host the machine died so badly that NT's disk was totaly
> > > corrupted. The hang was consistently reproducable but only when
> > > connected to a TokenRing network. In my Ehthernet LAN it worked fine. In
> > > the course of investigating I have also upgraded to the latest version
> > > of the VMware distribution, Version 2.0.1 but it wasn't any better with
> > > this version. Since the NT's disk file consistently crashed so badly
> > > that I had to restore a backup (fortunately I had one) I finally went
> > > back to 2.2.14 on the ThinkPad and everything works just fine as it did
> > > before.
> >
> > Unfortunately I must confirm this. Installed SuSE 7.0 (i.e. kernel
> > 2.2.16) a week ago on my TP 600X and now configured VMware (2.0.2-621)
> > with NT 4.0 as guest. Everything was fine, as long as the machine was
> > not connected to the network, e.g. at home. At work, when connected to
> > the Token Ring network, the machine got stuck shortly after booting the
> > guest OS in VMware, right when the NT login window came up and NT tried
> > to set up its network connection, I suppose.
> >
> > And yes, it also did crash my NT partition ... :-( I wasn't able to boot
> > NT native afterwards. Luckily I've made a backup yesterday.
> >
> > > Is anybody successfully using a ThinkPad 770X with Linux-2.2.16 and
> > > VMware 2.0.1 with NT 4.0 as a guest OS and doing host-only networking
> > > through a Token Ring network? If you plan to do so, and in fact whenever
> > > you make significant changes to the setup, I'd like to strongly suggest
> > > to make a backup of VMware's guest OS disk file.
> >
> > I'd like to ask the same question, but for all types of TP. Is there
> > anybody who has this setup up and running?
> >
> > Markus
> > ----- The Linux ThinkPad mailing list -----
> > The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
> > http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Harry

sorry for the delay - i've just moved from boston to new hampshire
and the network connection leaves a little something to be desired.
This was just easy - the only issue I had with the whole process was
after I started mucking about with with the firewalling that VMware was
using to get to the network.

If you have specific problem repost to the list - im listening again

brad
--
Bradley W. Langhorst
email: brad@langhorst.com