[ltp] kernel detecting incorrect processor speed

Lai Zit Seng linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 08:06:13 +0800 (SGT)

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, dan kelley wrote:

> I've just installed mandrake 7.1 on a new T20 (pIII 700).  install went
> fine, just needed to replace the X server with a S3 Savage compatible
> version.  the machine shipped with 1 128 meg chip, i added a 256 meg chip
> to that.  oddly, the machine seemed slow, so i checked out /proc/cpuinfo:
>
> cpu MHz	: 	145.076181
> bogomips	:	311.30
>
> i've rebooted the machine several times, and it usually comes up with these
> same values.  once or twice, it has come up with 586 MHz.
>
> anyone heard of anything like this happening?

Yes, it seems to be happening to my T20 all the time. The number ranges
from 147MHz, 148MHz, 284MHz, 293MHz, 530MHz, 547MHz etc... All this while
booting on battery power.

Anyone has any ideas why this is so?

Regards,

.lzs