[ltp] kernel detecting incorrect processor speed

James C. Mankin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 09 Sep 2000 00:20:16 +0100

Hi -  My guess is this has to do with the SpeedStep (?) business where
the processor speed is supposed to change based on if you have the
AC charger plugged in or not.   I  just did a test with my 650 MHz T20
and I got 647 MHz with the AC plugged in and something like 400 MHz when
it was on battery.  I am using SuSE 6.4.  I didnt install any
special drivers for power saving etc so I'm not sure the Speedstep stuff
should be working, but you might try to see if the speeds are
correlated with how it is powered.   Jim   n5x@psu.edu