[ltp] kernel detecting incorrect processor speed

Lai Zit Seng linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 11:06:21 +0800 (SGT)

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, James C. Mankin wrote:

> Hi -  My guess is this has to do with the SpeedStep (?) business where
> the processor speed is supposed to change based on if you have the
> AC charger plugged in or not.   I  just did a test with my 650 MHz T20
> and I got 647 MHz with the AC plugged in and something like 400 MHz when
> it was on battery.  I am using SuSE 6.4.  I didnt install any
> special drivers for power saving etc so I'm not sure the Speedstep stuff
> should be working, but you might try to see if the speeds are
> correlated with how it is powered.   Jim   n5x@psu.edu

Do you always get 400Mhz on battery? In my case, my 700MHz processor gets
reported as having a variety of different clock speeds! That is, while on
battery. On AC power, the speed is correctly reported at approximately
700MHz.

Regards,

.lzs