[ltp] 770X Batteries

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:34:15 +0000 (GMT)

> > Did it really 'fry' itself, or does it just appear to not hold a charge? I
> > take care of 6 770Z's for my company, and we've discovered that the battery
> > loses it's 'brain' occasionally. There's a procedure on the IBM website, but
> > in a nutshell what we do is discharge until the laptop suspends, turn it on
> > again and let it discharge to suspend, turn it on a third time and let it
> > discharge to suspend, then let it charge overnight with the machine off.
> > Once I had to do the whole sequence twice to get it to wake up.

This does seem to be working...

First try it got to 10 then 100 now its on 18^H9^H^H20^H1 and still
gaining... Thanks for telling me about this! I owe you one mate.

I think I will lather, rince and repeat this a few times!

My way to drain all the life from the machine.....

Set the suspend and save to disk settings really slow.
Fire it up into dos.
Wait till is suspends.

pop the battery and put it back in again.

Now computer will start again if you have enough power go for dos...
mine switched off when it tried to start the hard disk ;-)

Keep swithcing on till machine does not have enough power to even
power up the screen! Then do it a few more times for luck ;-)

If it suspends you have top pop the battery if it does not get that far in
the boot, well you don't :-)

James