[ltp] Reforming Confused Batteries

Les Bell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:53:20 +1100

After reading the discussion over the last few days, I decided to try the
procedure to see if I could fix up the battery in my 600e, which appeared
to be losing its mind. For the first half of this year, I travelled very
little, and so the system was permanently plugged in, with the result that
now, the system would give only 25 minutes battery work time.

So, I discharged the battery to the point where the system would suspend,
but found that the battery was still giving over 11 volts. Since the system
would now not restart, in an attempt to deep discharge the battery, I
placed a 390 ohm resistor across the battery terminals and left it. Three
hours later, it was still showing over 11 volts. So I left it (to go to a
rehearsal for the Sydney Olympics opening ceremony - don't miss it!) but
when I came back seven hours later, the battery was fully discharged - to 0
V.

Now, the battery won't even *start* to recharge. When the AC adapter is
plugged in, the battery status indicator just blinks orange, goes solid
orange for about two seconds, and then goes black to blinking orange again.
I measure 0V across the battery terminals after leaving the machine
'charging' overnight.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to 'kick-start' this battery again?
I'm beginning to think these batteries are too smart for their own good,
but with IBM dealers quoting me anything up to $A400 and a minimum of one
month delivery for a replacement, I'm willing to invest considerable effort
in trying to reform this battery.

Best,

--- Les [http://www.lesbell.com.au]