[ltp] Reforming Confused Batteries

Ricky A. Kendall linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:25:06 -0500

--------------0D2BD75082B186B09037DC8B

I had a similar problem with a 755CX battery a few years ago.
I had purchased a "travel charger" to be able to charge the laptop
battery and spare at the same time over night.  The travel charger
kick-started the battery and it worked fine after fully charging.
I don't know if there is an equivalent "system" for the 600e
batteries, though.  If I remember correctly the travel charger was like
$50 US.   Good luck
Ricky

Les Bell wrote:

> After reading the discussion over the last few days, I decided to try the
> procedure to see if I could fix up the battery in my 600e, which appeared
> to be losing its mind. For the first half of this year, I travelled very
> little, and so the system was permanently plugged in, with the result that
> now, the system would give only 25 minutes battery work time.
>
> So, I discharged the battery to the point where the system would suspend,
> but found that the battery was still giving over 11 volts. Since the system
> would now not restart, in an attempt to deep discharge the battery, I
> placed a 390 ohm resistor across the battery terminals and left it. Three
> hours later, it was still showing over 11 volts. So I left it (to go to a
> rehearsal for the Sydney Olympics opening ceremony - don't miss it!) but
> when I came back seven hours later, the battery was fully discharged - to 0
> V.
>
> Now, the battery won't even *start* to recharge. When the AC adapter is
> plugged in, the battery status indicator just blinks orange, goes solid
> orange for about two seconds, and then goes black to blinking orange again.
> I measure 0V across the battery terminals after leaving the machine
> 'charging' overnight.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to 'kick-start' this battery again?
> I'm beginning to think these batteries are too smart for their own good,
> but with IBM dealers quoting me anything up to $A400 and a minimum of one
> month delivery for a replacement, I'm willing to invest considerable effort
> in trying to reform this battery.
>
> Best,
>
> --- Les [http://www.lesbell.com.au]

--------------0D2BD75082B186B09037DC8B

begin:vcard
n:Kendall;Ricky A.
tel;cell:515-291-5801
tel;fax:515-294-4491
tel;home:515-239-9914
tel;work:515-294-9291
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Ames Laboratory;Scalable Computing Laboratory
version:2.1
email;internet:rickyk@scl.ameslab.gov
title:Computational Scientist
adr;quoted-printable:;;236 Wilhelm Hall=0D=0AIowa State University;Ames;IA;50011;USA
note;quoted-printable:Personal Contact Info:=0D=0Arickyk@mad.scientist.com=0D=0A1102 Wilson Avenue, Ames, IA, 50010
end:vcard