[ltp] Reforming Confused Batteries

Les Bell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:06:24 +1100

Joachim F. Selinger wrote:

You should use a power supply with adjustable current to start charging it
a little until it reaches some meaningful voltage, maybe 5-6V? just
connect the + of the power supply to the + of the battery and - to -.
Pay attention to watch the voltage while charging it with maybe one 10th
or even better one 20th of the capacity in Ah (e.g. 2000Ah -> 100mA
current)
<<

Thanks for that advice, Joachim. I did try charging the battery directly
from a 12V adapter, but the voltage on the battery terminals remained at
12V (I didn't measure the current as I was already fiddling with too many
hastily-crimped bits of wire). This suggests to me that either a) the spade
terminals I crimped onto the ends of the wire were not making good contact
with the battery terminals (although I fiddled around with them but nothing
changed, so I think this is unlikely), or b) the 'smart' circuitry inside
the battery itself is not letting it recharge. I suspect the latter is more
likely.

I'll give your suggestion a try when I'm able (heavy workload, Olympics
here and a trip to Melbourne are interfering), but in the meantime, I've
caved in and ordered a replacement battery. <g>

Thanks for the help. I can point you to some good soaring if you're ever in
this part of the world.

Best,

--- Les [http://www.lesbell.com.au]